Stately Home – Watercolour
This one was a particularly difficult one because half of the house is no longer standing. I had to reconstruct it using old black and white photographs and drawings of how it used to be. So as you will see from the initial outline drawing that it is back to its former grandeur.
Don’t think of the dear in this drawing as an after thought because these actually serve as an entrance to the picture.
Before I start my sky wash I have masked off areas of white such as spots on the side of the deer and the bottom (bum) of the deer.
The sky wash was done by pre wetting the whole area and then go in with cobalt blue fairly strong at the top, then suck out a few clouds and all of this was done with my 1.5″ flat wash brush. Then I put a tiny touch of light red to the cobalt blue and just drop in a little bit of shadow here and there at the base of the clouds.
Now I changed to my No 8 round brush and whilst the sky wash was still slightly damp at the base, pop in a little bit of well watered yellow ochre in the background tree area. Followed by hookers green with a touch of burnt sienna, but don’t make this too dark. Followed by a little bit of cobalt blue here and there to give more depth to the trees.
It seems like I have don’t a lot in this stage but all of these are easy washes. Again using my No 8 round brush I pre wet the entire house excluding the roof and then dropped in a little bit of Charles Evans Sand followed by a tiny touch of raw umber, well watered, followed by cobalt blue again well watered. Let all these colours merge and give you that lovely stone effect.
For the roof I used cobalt blue and light red, notice the mix is stronger and darker to the left hand side of the roof and al of this building now was done with my No 8 round brush. I used again the same mix but stronger for the window pain. Notice where I have left the gaps in between each stroke of window to give the impression of frames or mullioned windows.
For the ivy growing up the building, again with my No 8 round brush I had a fairly dry brush and split it and stipple on a little bit of yellow ochre fairly strong, followed by the same with a mix of hookers green and burnt sienna followed by a mix of cobalt blue and burnt sienna. making sure that the blue mix goes mainly on the left hand side to give it a little more depth.
The shrubbery in front of the house were done with exactly the same mixes but a little bit weaker and for these I used my 3/4″ flat wash brush.
Now for the shadow in the building. Its back to my No 8 round brush and a mixture of cobalt blue, alizarin crimson and burnt sienna. noticing in the windows I have kept the shadow along the top and along the right hand side of each window. This will recess the window into the building. Fairly dark underneath the overhangs of the roof and then more water into the shadow mix for general strokes down the left hand side of the building.
For the big trees to the right hand side I use my No 8 round brush to firstly paint in the trunks. I used yellow ochre to the right hand side raw umber to the middle and then cobalt blue and burnt sienna, very dark to the left hand side and let the colours merge. Then change to my 3/4″ flat wash brush for the foliage. This was tapped on with the side of my brush with firstly yellow ochre followed by hookers green and burnt sienna mixed followed by just cobalt blue.
The next stage was to paint the lawn. I pre wet the entire area with my 3/4″ flat wash brush, then got the colours in whilst it was all still wet, firstly yellow ochre with big broad strokes, followed by hookers green mixed with yellow ochre and then a well watered cobalt blue. Broad horizontal stroke to merge the colours in, making sure that you keep the lawn lying flat.
For the big trees to the left hand side, I went to my rigger brush firstly for the boughs. I used a little bit of raw umber followed by cobalt blue and burnt sienna, keeping these nice and dark. Then again back to my 3/4″ flat wash brush and stipple on with the same colours as before, yellow ochre followed by yellow ochre and hookers green followed by cobalt blue. Extend these colours coming across from the bottom left hand corner adding a little bit more neat burnt sienna here and there and flick upwards to give the impression of grass.
I used my No 8 round for all of the deer. In their necks and legs I used a bit of Charles Evans Sand and then whilst this was still wet mixed raw umber and raw sienna to give a reddy brown colour and paint in the back and sides of them and also painted the head with this colour. Once this was done I washed out my brush and sucked out a little bit of paint here and there to give lighter areas in the head. Once they were all dry I painted the black part on their bottoms using a mixture of ultra marine blue and burnt sienna to make a good strong black. I again use this black mix but with my rigger brush to paint the mouth and eyes. I also put a stroke of this dark on the left hand side of the antlers on the main deer. Let all of this dry before using your finger to rub off the masking fluid.
Not to shadow those little critters, a little bit of cobalt blue with light red keeping the colour fairly weak to shadow the under bellies the left and side of the legs and where the hind leg comes up into the belly.
For underneath the deer, add a little bit of grass using the same technique as in step 4.